August 06, 2008

A Grimm Discovery

On Friday, my parents took their coffee at the cafe on the grounds of Summers End. They surveyed the yard and noticed something amiss.
Over there in the NE corner of the lot where the playhouse stands... where was Snow White?

They walked to the playhouse and were horrified to discover 6 of their concrete dwarfs were missing.
The 40" Snow White figure had been knocked down, but at least she was still there. Somebody kidnapped the dwarfs!

Doc, Grumpy, Sneezy, Sleepy, Bashful and Dopey - all of them gone! Only Happy was left behind. (Unfortunately, an horrific accident left Happy a double-amputee several years ago).

Snow White and the seven dwarfs have been friends of the playhouse for at least 25 years. They've been a part of the Wild parties, Family Picnics, Wayne Day and several weddings. They're family - the children of the house after The Original 6 moved out.

Every few years, my Dad would cart each dwarf to the garage where my Mom would painstakingly repaint him. Once sealed and dry, my Dad would carry each concrete man back to his place. Snow White received an ultra deluxe spa treatment, including chemical peel (old paint removal), deep facial line treatment (filling weathered areas) and microdermabrasion (sanding) before hitting makeup and wardrobe.

Two fawns, Bambi and Bimbo, are usually placed as if they'd just left the cornfield - heading toward the playhouse. Bimbo was also missing.

In order to execute the robbery, the dwarf-nappers had to park on the shoulder of the road, climb the fence, walk to the playhouse area, pick up the concrete statue (you need 2 people to carry Bimbo), carry it back


(enlarge to view getaway route)

down the yard, over the fence, down the hill at the ditch to the waiting car...seven times! There's been too much rain to drive through the field without getting stuck. {Aside: Escape through the field after a rain was attempted once. Once. You noticed I said 'attempted'?}

"I miss them," my Dad told me yesterday when I visited the homestead. "I miss you too," he quickly added lest I be offended.
So deep is the loss that he can't bear to whistle while he works in the yard.
Come to think of it, the wind wasn't whistling through the trees either.

As for Happy, well I thought he looked quite lonely.

Tags:

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that is hilarious -- if it weren't so tragic, of course! I'm surprised you didn't draw little white outlines of where their bodies should be.

Don't you think Happy should have been renamed after the accident that took his arms? On the other hand, I suppose it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Love, Love, LOVE the description of Snow White's makeover each year. Prior to that, I had thought of it as a paint job.

Christine said...

Drawing the outlines could be misinterpreted and I didn't want to upset the family further.
This is a missing persons case, not a gnomicide investigation.

[sniff] Happy lost his legs. His positive attitude is an inspiration to all of us who have faced challenges.[wipe tear]

Anonymous said...

Hold the phones.

Did anyone check the alibi of the evil Queen?

Anonymous said...

You did say that Snow was laying facedown in the field didn't you? Perhaps she'd eaten a poisened apple?

Christine said...

Actually, I only said that Snow had been knocked over.
How did you know she was laying face down?
You seem to have details about this crime that haven't been published...
Very interesting, Anonymous, if that's your real name.

Anonymous said...

I'm really starting to feel a bit nervous about this. Sinse one of my family members came home from Summers End......and told me they have knoked down Snow White and left her lying on grass FACE DOWN.....I was in shock...I thought it was cruel.

I'm really worried about this.

Christine said...

That's some good detective work, Loo. I'm no expert, but it sounds like you've found what's called a clue...Now you must deal with the ethical dilemma of whether to report the suspicious activity of your family member or keep hush...Good luck with the sleepless nights!

Biddie said...

Oh, you are so right, anon, too funny and yet tragic!
I had to laugh at your Dad - sounds like something my Dad would have said.
Ummm, what is Wayne Day???

Christine said...

Wayne Day was created in honor of my brother-in-law, Wayne. There's Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, Grandparents' Day, Canada Day, etc. At someone's request (I'm thinking it was probably Wayne), we designated a day in August as Wayne Day. Not sure I've explained it well...Maybe I should explain the Wild Shirt Day Olympics instead....then again, maybe not!

Anonymous said...

Historical Revisionism on the Origins of Wayne Day:

The idea for "Wayne Day" was my mother's, after a heartfelt conversation between my parents following Kenzie's First Communion. The party was over; all the guests had gone home, and all that was left were the remains of a half-eaten roast beef (in fairness, my Dad probably made 6...he's famously gifted when it comes to beef...the issue is open for further study.)

Observing the festive wreckage, my father turned to my mother and observed that he, the third child of four and youngest of his brothers, had never had a day that was devoted entirely to him. My mother, having had many such days, her own First Communion, and the occasional Tuesday, was inspired to give my Dad something of which no person should be deprived; a day in their honour, and since the Summers family is famously gifted when it comes to parties (my notes on this subject are available on request), "Wayne Day" was celebrated.

I realize that I as an historian, have too much time on my hands.

Footnote: the several dwarfs probably ran away because Snow White suddenly refused to clean the playhouse for them.

Christine said...

And that's the real history of Wayne Day. Thanks, Kara.

Perhaps I'd blocked many of those details out (except for his amazing roast beef) because as the 5th of 6 children and the youngest girl, I didn't have anything to myself. I still share a bedroom!

I did always feel special, though.

Anonymous said...

You've got a pretty short memory. Back then, when someone said you were special, it wasn't necessarily a compliment!

Christine said...

Back then? Back then?
Yeah, way back in the 80's when I was high school.
This is a tough crowd.

We seem to have lost sight of the fact that a crime was committed here. Someone stole the dwarfs!