January 17, 2007

The Accident-al Tourists

For the past number of years, one of the family travels to Aruba in January and spends a week vacationing with my parents. First went Michelle and Lju, then Lori and Max, then Roni and Wayne. In the fourth year, Joe and Ginette went and then Jeremy and Sarah. Now, it's the grandchildren's turn to go. Shannon and Kara were the first of the second generation to spend some quality vacation time with their grandparents.

Below is a recap of the three sides to the adrenaline rush of last week.

As told by Shannon:


Mom, my life flashed before my eyes several times.
We went off-roading in a Toyota Yaris with Gramma.

We were driving on cow paths that even the cows thought were too dangerous to use. At one point we stopped and Gramma pointed to a hill and said, 'that's the direction we want to go.' She asked me to go to the top of the hill and see what was on the other side. I hiked up the mountain and looked over. It was a sheer cliff. A straight drop to the ocean below.

Kara: We saw the most beautiful beach. So tranquil. So serene. Turquoise water, pure white sand. It was absolutely awesome.
(laughing) We'd been to the beach before Gramma almost killed us on the cliff, so I was at peace. Having seen the most beautiful spot in the world, it was OK to die.

I was in the backseat. I was praying. I mean it. Praying for real. We weren't really close to being killed. When we were on the sunset cruise, we saw the lighthouse that was on the hill where Gramma nearly killed us. Having already seen it up close, it was less impressive from the ocean.

Gramma: It was gr-reat having the girls with us this past week and in spite of what you may have heard from them, I never once put them in any peril...regardless of what they say. I want you to know that I stopped before we were going to go over the cliff. They wanted an adventure and I was the one to offer it to them...

I found this at the Aruba website: Car rentals are available, but most people prefer to rent a 4-wheel drive jeep because Aruba's terrain can be rugged in remote areas.

Now maybe our children will believe us when we say that in the 1970's, Gramma used to jump the Rossland bridge in her Cadillac. That's how cool your Gramma is.

Kara's going to be a Diplomat, for sure...in her version: We weren't really close to being killed,...


Find Everything tagged

Go to No Access to Health Treatment

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Chr-

It is an honour to have been blogged. But you forgot Shannon's line, "Last week, My mom asked me if I believed in Angels....I do now."

Love you!