April 25, 2007

Random At Work


Helicopter parents need to lower their landing gear!

This article,
from U.S.A. Today, states "As Generation Y enters the job force, parents of new hires are calling employers to negotiate salary and benefits, and some are even showing up at job fairs."

Parents are interfering to the degree that Hewlett-Packard has 'specially-trained recruiters' to deal with parents.

When I was in a position to hire staff, if faced with two equally-qualified candidates, I would offer the position to the one who completed his own application over one whose parent filled it out. I rarely had ads targeted to college graduates. The article refers to post-secondary grads and their parents.

To me, the distinction is clear: one applicant shows that she wants to work; the other shows that her parents want her to work.

If I was a helicopter parent myself, I'd give you the definition of the term. You need to go look it up yourself.

(By providing the link, I think I have a Limo to the Airport parenting style.)

   

0 comments: