June 17, 2007

Word Processor

Words. I love them. Always have. It's not that I used to read the dictionary, but I am fascinated by words. We played word games in the car; our parents encouraged us to read and demonstrated an appreciation of language that we picked up.
Sometimes,
from time to time,
now and then,
occasionally,
at times I wish I'd never
been given this thesaurus.


When I was young, we used to drive by a Realtor's sign with a word on it that was new and fresh. It was always exciting to discover a mint morpheme.
I wanted to know the word, use the word, be the word. Each time we passed the sign, I would silently work on the word. I wanted to surprise Mom by using it.

One day, we came around the curve and the rotating sign was facing us with the word. Sure that I had mastered it, I announced proudly, "We Are Yoo-ni-kyoo!"
"We are what?" Mom asked.

The sign was behind us now, but I repeated, "We are yoo-ni-kyoo." I explained about the sign at the office on the corner.

"Oh, I know that sign," Mom said. "It's yoo-neek. We are unique." She went on to explain it's meaning to me. For days, I strutted around showing off my new word. The importance of it was completely lost upon my 6-year old friends.

The point of this story is not to disclose OCD (again!) ... I got a tip to the site How Will You Be Defined in the Dictionary?

With very little else to do in these post-surgery days, I visited the site. I just knew that it would define me as a caring, honorable person of high intelligence and integrity. (OK, that high intelligence part of me recognizes that a java script random field generator is responsible for the answers, but a person can dream, can't they?)

Here's the result:

As Chris - [adjective]: Benevolent to a fault

As Christine - [noun]: A person of questionable sanity who starts their own cult

My friends call me Chris...benevolent, yes, but to a fault?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but I have noticed that all of your doctors and nursing support call you Christine.

Would you like a second opinion?

Christine said...

Not now. I'm busy reading How to Start Your Own Cult.
Step 1. Create a mystique.
Step 2. Circulate stories that you possess some kind of mysterious presence.
Step 3. Hold your first meeting at a large hall.
Step 4. Never mind...this is a post all on its own.

Anonymous said...

My daughter loves words too(reading not writing them). When she was 7 I was called to school because there had been complaints from parents. The complaints...her classmates didn't understand her because she used too many "big" words. Some of the teachers didn't like it either. The two comments I remember are: She called one male teacher "sarcastic" (he was!); told one of her classmates that she was "transparently manipulating her friends" (she was a nasty piece of work). The teacher asked that my daughter not use big words in the playground or to classmates. I was speachless. I never did tell her.