January 07, 2008

Sweeping Up Detritus, Cleaning in the Corners

I was vacuuming under the blog topic production table and found these among the debris.

Jackson 5 Reunion Tour?
In November 2007, Jermaine Jackson announced that the quintet would hit the road with a Reunion Tour in 2008. Jermaine Dupri, Janet's beau, announced that the brothers would appear on stage for the first time since 1990 at his private New Year's Eve party at Studio 72 in Atlanta.

The Jackson 5, featuring brothers Tito, Marlon, Jackie, Jermaine, and lead singer Michael found fame in the 1970s with hits I Want You Back and ABC. Later, youngest brother Randy joined his brothers onstage and the band was renamed The Jacksons.
I don't think the warm up reunion happened in Atlanta; I doubt there will be any Jackson Tour soon.

(Photo: The Jackson 5 & Randy with The Summers 5 et. al, ca. 1972)


Biddell Wins Project Runway Canada
I started watching Project Runway Canada's encore broadcasts in the wee morning hours. One Canadian designer would take away $100,000 to start his/her own line and receive a feature in Elle Canada.

I saw just 4 of the 11 episodes, and caught the announcement of the winner during the prime time finale. Because I didn't watch the entire 2-hour finale that featured the designers' collections at L'Oréal Fashion Week (I flipped it back just in time to see the judges' comments), I was shocked that judge Rita Silvan was moved to tears by the embodiment of hope that Lucien's collection exuded.

PRC was hosted by Iman. Brian Bailey acted as mentor to the contestants and the other judges were Shawn Hewson and Rita Silvan.
I know who Iman is (from I Am African and she's married to David Bowie). The other pros on the panel? No idea.
Crying over an evening gown? I don't get it. Up until now, my fashion runway exposure primarily came from Zoolander.

Project Runway Season 4 premieres tonight with host Heidi Klum. Emmy nominee Tim Gunn is back as mentor.

Gladiators Ready
The Writers' Guild of America's prolonged strike is good news for Hulk Hogan. Hogan returns to prime time television as host of American Gladiators. NBC announced AG as a possible mid-season replacement in October. With shows forced into hiatus from the lack of scripted material, NBC slotted the Weekend Warrior vs. Athlete remake in early.

Hogan was pursued to host not just because of his WWE success, but also the success of his VH-1 reality series Hogan Knows Best (2005), still the highest-rated debut of any VH-1 series.
Questions: Will the Challengers dodge tennis balls as they run through the obstacle course, or has this challenge been updated à la The Running Man?

Is it true that people are pre-ordering the action figure dolls?

American Gladiators debuted last night. A new episode airs tonight.

Tags:    
 

  
     


 
   
 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you in the photo?

Christine said...

I'm the one sporting those fancy white boots...front row, 2nd from left.

Anonymous said...

Any blog that uses the word 'detritrus' in the headline is a blog I HAVE to read!

Christine said...

It's not an everyday word. I took it out of the cupboard and showed it off because company was coming.

Anonymous said...

Is that one of your sisters behind you in the picture?

Biddie said...

LOL. You crack me up.
I can't believe that I missed AG. I know that it will be a train wreck, but what the heck?
This writers strike has been killing me slowly. I miss Supernatural, and Reaper, and I can barely wait until Lost and Jericho are back.

Christine said...

Remember, this is Detroit, 1972.
Summers Identified
in photo .

I think that Linda is behind me (daughter of one of my dad's best friends).
If I had to guess, I'd say it's the DaKroob kids beside me (left), front and back rows.

The others? I don't know - Anyone?

Christine said...

I continue to be blissfully unaffected by the WGA strike.
Weeds hasn't been affected; I think I'll pull my time away from saving grace (it just resumed); rescue me wrapped up just in time. I can't see this dispute running into next season.
It's just Friday Night Lights - and I often miss that show anyway, because of Jessica's hockey. Maybe it's affected, maybe not.

Prediction for 2008: Ben Stiller announces he will star in Caesar's Arena - a movie that parodies American Gladiators...once the writer's are back, of course.

Anonymous said...

The New American Gladiators in High Definition on a 52-inch Plasma screen!
Life is Great!

Anonymous said...

did a techno-gladiator fan just come in here?