September 22, 2007

Shoe Squabble

Marc Jacobs unveiled these gems at FashionWeek. Part of his Spring 2008 collection, the shoes will retail for around $660.

"A chunky, four-inch heel nestles horizontally just under the ball of the foot. Where you'd expect a heel, there is nothing but fresh air.
The centre of gravity therefore is somewhere under the arch of the foot, forcing the whole body to tilt forward. The effort of staying upright in them will be the equivalent of an advanced level Pilates class."


Well, Jacobs did say that he was trying to overturn conventional fashion with his 2008 line. He calls this year's line The Emperor's New Clothes.

Wait! What's this? Turns out, these are very similar to Junko Shimado's line that was introduced in March. Shimado's appear slightly more comfortable, with a longer heel stem.

Looks like there may be a fashion footwear feud afoot!


Tags:    


3 comments:

Biddie said...

$660 for a pair of backwards shoes? What's next? Bra's worn outside of our clothing?
I think that they're ugly, and I can't imagine spending that much on a pair of heel-less shoes.
Thanks for the photos, though. I'll have something to talk about at dinner tomorrow.

Christine said...

You mean bras aren't worn on the outside?
I'm always the last to find out!

Biddie said...

LOL. I always think of the movie "Splash" when Tom Hanks' secratary wheres hers to work like that. It cracked me up. Mind you, I was what, 15? I am sooo much more mature, now :)