October 15, 2006

Pass the Benadryl™

This weekend I must have reached my Lifetime Allowable Maximum Intake of a particular drug. My eyebrows are still causing me discomfort, even though it's been more than 24 hours since I administered the drug. Serious reactions do that: extensive total body hyper-sensitivity for an extended period of time.

I ran the IV early Saturday afternoon. Near the end of the infusion, I got an 'early allergy flash'. That's what I call it when my body temp jumps to (seems like) 400 degrees. If you've experienced or seen someone experience an E.A.F. you know, it's hot. Then the numbness. I noticed the swelling. I pressed STOP on the pump.

I'm supposed to avoid all histamine blockers until the end of next month. I quickly ran through my options: None. I had to get the Benadryl™ on board.

Disconnected and capped, I was unsure what to do with the med still in the line...the med that hadn't yet dripped out the Hickman into the vein. I'd seen nurses draw back on the line before. It could be done, but did I have the required level of expertise for that? What are the risks? There are some, I remember that much. What's the volume capacity of the line? I know this, I told myself. But was the capacity of the line important for this or did it have to do with something else? My rationale: if I knew the volume capacity of the line, then I could figure out the amount of saline I'd need to completely flush the line, right?

If only I had paid closer attention in TPN school. If only I could remember the protocol followed in May when I had a reaction at the hospital. Draw it back or push it through? Draw it back or push it through?

There wasn't a panic, don't misunderstand. We were thoughtfully weighing our options. We decided to push it through. We figured the worst possible result would require a shot of epinephrine and a trip to the hospital.

It turned out fine. When the Benadryl™ wore off, the symptoms came back, so I took more Benadryl™. It wore off, symptoms came back, have some more. Sunday afternoon, and I was still experiencing a reaction! Milder, but very uncomfortable.

I hope this is just an isolated case involving this order only. I'll wait to see what work-around Stella and Suzanne come up with, I guess. In the meantime, pass the Benadryl™, please.



Front Page, Very Random

Go to No Access to Health Treatment

0 comments: