January 29, 2008

I Cheated - It Could Have Killed Me

Owen and I have an open relationship.
Neither of us has necessarily asked for exclusivity. I am far more loyal to Owen than he is to me. It would be selfish to keep him for myself; other people need him. Sharing him is something I accepted from the day we met.

Owen is my pharmacist. On Saturday, I had to fill a prescription for a less-common drug. Owen could have ordered the formulation I needed; he could have it all ready to go on Monday night, but administering the drug sooner was preferred by me and the doc who ordered it. Owen called several places nearby, but none stocked the medication.

After more phone calls, Owen found a pharmacy, on the other side of town, that could fill the prescription. I dropped the 'scrip off and returned a few hours later to pick up the order. As a new patient, I had to undergo the full registration process. The registration files allow the store's computer system identify possible interaction issues or allergies.

The new pharmacist reviewed the administration instructions, side effects, interaction safety guidelines and then handed me a stack of papers to take home. As we were processing the transaction at the register, he made a comment about having added flavoring to the suspension. "It'll be like a tropical vacation," he said.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I asked.
"I added tropical flavoring to the suspension to make it more palatable," he replied.
"I have food allergies," I explained. "May I please see the ingredient listing?"

There it was, far down on the list, but there nonetheless: Coconut Cream. I am allergic to coconut. He was devastated. He'd gone from hero to villain in a flash.

First, he checked to see if it was real/organic coconut or an extract. If it was an extract, it was less-likely to be a problem because of the alcohol and fermentation process. If it was simulated, it posed no risk at all. If it was real, I would have an anaphylactic reaction.

He couldn't determine the potency of the coconut, so it was safest to make a new solution.

This wouldn't have happened if I'd stuck with Owen. Owen doesn't take chances with my orders. He knows. Owen fixed the dispensing problem I had with a regulated prescription. He once came to me in the dairy section to discuss a potential interaction problem with a new 'scrip. He takes care of me.

I vow not to step-out on him again.

Tags:  
   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

God works in the most mysterious ways. Trust him (God, that is!)

XXOO

Anonymous said...

and Owen. It's ok to trust Owen, too. Just not the same as you'd trust God.

Biddie said...

Wow. That is scary. I'm so glad that you caught it.
I had a similar experience with Kayla when she was just over a year old. The pharmacist gave her the wrong concentration of Dilantin. He DIDN'T catch it, and neither did the Dr. at the walk in clinic.
Thankfully, my mom powers kicked in to over drive, and I took her to the ER. She almost DIED.
I never went back to that pharmacy again.

Biddie said...

There is an award for you at my place :)

Christine said...

Wow...way to trust your instincts.

{humbled}Thanks for the shout-out.
Check out Bridget's Blog