January 10, 2008

The Good News Is That It's Not Bad News

I figured I'd suffer glares galore when I moseyed in late for my appointment with the breast surgeon to review the biopsy results.

The good news is that the computer was down, so His Assistant hadn't generated the Daily Patient List.
The bad news is that the pathology report hadn't been sent to the office yet.

Technically, the office wasn't open yet, so I figured I'd be shown straight to an exam room - there'd be no time to flip through a magazine in the reception area.
The good news is that I was.

The faxed report was received within 10 minutes of the request being made by His Assistant.
The good news is that it was now the first page in my chart.
The bad news is that she took the chart out of the room.

The doctor came in and I lectured him on customer service expectations. "When I take my vacuum cleaner in for service, I expect Claude to diagnose the problem, order any replacement parts and repair the unit," I began.

"Claude's customers don't expect to be involved in ordering the parts, arranging delivery, or scheduling the bench work. The operating procedures behind the service don't involve me. I know that it's taken care of because he consistently delivers quality service."

Of course there is a difference between a physician and appliance repair, but the Service Management Process is the same:

  • the doc completes a requisition for a diagnostic test or procedure (Order)
  • he should be matching up the incoming reports from his health care associates to the requisitions (Receiving)
  • then reviewing the completed orders with his patients (Customer Pick Up/Shipping)
  • Outstanding orders should be followed up - 'When will this report be available?' (Expediting Standing Orders)

The pathology report declares the mass is benign. (Yay!)

But,

It's not necessarily nothing to worry about. (Aaw!)

But,

I don't have to worry about it in the near term. (Yay!)

Looks like forwarding that email paid off!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great News!
You don't have breast cancer.

I'm really sorry to hear about your vacuum.

Michelle said...

And your argument is valid. Doctors today could learn lots from the vacuum repair people. Thing is: Claude probably makes more than the doctor. It's all relative (just like bc). Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I think it would suck to be a vacuum cleaner repairman.