February 14, 2008

Drug Recall Information Needs A Fix

Quite by accident, I discovered a drug recall that affects me. The recall on Fentanyl was announced earlier this week. On Monday, I received a 5-week supply of the medication that is part of the recall. My existing supply is included in the recalled lot too.

The recall was widely reported throughout the U.S. news services, but there was no information for patients in Canada. The notice from J & J / Novartis clearly stated that supply in Canada and The United States was affected.

Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Canada, distributors of Duragesic in Canada, doesn't provide information of the recall on their website.
Health Canada maintains a comprehensive list of warnings and recalls...but nothing about defective Fentanyl patches.

Today, eCanadaNow is at least offering an item announcing the recall.

From the recall notice:
The Duragesic Pain Patch has been recalled by Johnson & Johnson because defects in the manufacture of the patch could lead to accidental overdoses. Johnson & Johnson is recalling about 32 million of the fentanyl-containing Duragesic Pain Patches, and the company estimates that about two million could be defective.
Fentanyl is considered a Class II substance by the Drug Enforcement Administration, meaning it is associated with a high potential for abuse and a risk for fatal overdose. Fentanyl is an opioid analgesic, approximately eight times stronger than morphine.
The recalled patches, manufactured by Alza Corp. and sold by PriCara and Sandoz Inc. in the U.S. and Canada, are strength of 25mcg/hr and have expiration dates on or before December 2009. Patches with 12.5, 50, 75 and 100 mcg/hr strengths aren't affected.
Patients can call 1-800-567-3331 for more information.


I'm not sure why they'd want patients to call. Because it's a regulated drug, a pharmacist has to arrange replacement supply.

Janssen's Medical Information Department advised my pharmacist that information about the recall will be provided to medical professionals, including pharmacists, over the next 7 days.

I already educated myself on proper precautions in case I have any defective product. I know that Owen will take care of this for me, but with just one dose in the cupboard and a long-weekend coming up, I'm mildly concerned.


Tags:  
 

Mac's Opinion Linkfest

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's no listing of this particular recall at Health Canada's website, but if you do a search on Duragesic, you get 3 pages of documented adverse reactions and improper use warnings on this drug? Not to mention class-action lawsuits in the U.S. (from FDA site). Do you feel safe taking a drug like this?

Christine said...

The benefits outweigh the risks. Better to have some pain relief than none at all.

Some of the cases in the US (and the reports returned at Health Can. website) are based on improper use, improper prescribing, etc.

It's like pulling infant cold remedies because the parents weren't reading the label and insert material.

Anonymous said...

You didn't find it out by accident; you learned about the recall exactly as you were destined to. Somehow, Christine, I think it is up to you to change the world. I know, I know, that's a big weight to carry on your shoulders, but it must be what God intended!

And that's just part of what makes you so (J&^*)*J amazing!

Anonymous said...

You didn't find it out by accident; you learned about the recall exactly as you were destined to. Somehow, Christine, I think it is up to you to change the world. I know, I know, that's a big weight to carry on your shoulders, but it must be what God intended!

And that's just part of what makes you so (J&^*)*J amazing!

Christine said...

{stamping foot} No. No. No. NO. No. {pouting}
I only want to have to worry about the 3' of personal space that is mine.
{whining}I don't want to be in charge of change in the whole world and you can't make me.{/whining}
I want everyone to accept responsibility for their own 3'. Like you, when my 3' brush up against someone else's, I don't stick out my elbows, shove past and holler ME ME ME.
Let's see The World do some two-a-days-practice on that for a while, until we all get good at it.