October 19, 2007

Woman Fired Because She Has Cancer

The Employment Opportunity Commission has accepted the case of Angie Arttus, a woman in Sparta Wisconsin, who says "she was fired because she has breast cancer." Read the article...

Arttus's claim states that a Human Resources manager at Dura-Tech Industries asked her to resign from her job as shipping clerk, which she has held for 4 months, because it "would look better on her resume than if she was terminated".

The EEOC will investigate the complaint.

Lesson: The Human Resources department serves the needs of the company, not the employees.
Lesson: Breast Cancer Awareness Month creates awareness, not understanding (or sensitivity).
Lesson: There is no "I have cancer" in TEAM

Aside: The Etobicoke Dolphins Midget BB team Raises Money for Breast Cancer Research this Saturday when they host the Brampton Canadettes at Centennial Arena. The puck drops at 7:00 p.m.

Tags:    
   

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shocking. Dispicable. They stand behind their products better than they support their employee by this example.

angi4cats said...

This is Angie A. My EEOC case was dismissed. But only after i called my senator and complained about the two year investigation time. So now I have filed it with the State of Wisconsin. The EEOC actually told me that they were short staffed and overworked, and that I should be patient? They dismissed my case within three days of my complaint against them? I see how they protect you? They don't. I guess they think that I have all the time in the world to fight this, how very rude of them

Christine said...

Thanks for the update.
So, they were still "investigating" (since 2007)? They didn't have enough information from their "investigation" to render a decision until your Senator got involved? I'll bet this is just part of their process - delay investigation and decision then stamp it NO. They probably count on complainants not filing an appeal. They're taking advantage of the fact that complainants don't have energy to fight the bureaucracy.
You MUST appeal the decision. That is the only way you'll get a fair hearing.
You need an advocate - someone who can do the work for you so you can apply your energy to your health. Your pol's may be able to recommend someone; otherwise, I'd check the yellow pages!
Be well,
CL

Anonymous said...

this is angie again, I have hired an attorney. The ERD in Wisconsin found probable cause that I was discriminated against. Now I will go after them and the Insurance company that dopped me for punitive damages, and wrongfull termination. I all I wanted was my back pay, and my job held for me for 4 weeks. They said no to both. They still to this day have not hired anyone for my position, and yet they said that giving me 4 weeks off would put a undue hardship on the company? This will be going before an administrative law judge soon, for lost wages. Then I will sue the company. I hate sue happy people, and I have never been one, but I have to stand up for myself and for many others that this has happened to. Please post back and let me know what you think of this. Angi a