April 23, 2007

Breaking News

I'm on the leading edge. Ahead of the game. At the forefront of the news. By extension, so are you, fine readers.

The weekend paper featured information on measuring one's carbon footprint. It discussed offsetting industries. It referenced some of the same information sources I had noted in my earlier post on this topic. Coincidence, you say. Pshaw! Eerily, a particular online carbon calculator was described in one article as "watered-down"; exactly the way I had described it.

Over the past two weeks, measure your carbon shoe size has been among the most popular Google searches to lead a reader to my blog.

Google the phrase 'measure your carbon shoe size' and my post is the #1 result ! That's ahead of the Global Climate Change Research Explorer, a site that summarizes all research on climate change and global warming.

My post about the research on obesity and food addiction was published on this site three full weeks before the papers picked it up.

Stephen Colbert's new ice cream flavor - 10 days ahead of the game, and a month before he brought it to his show!

Luckily, I don't face the same editorial review processes of the print media. I can fill as many or as few paragraphs as I like. I don't intentionally fast-track stories, and I impose my own kind of censorship.

I am my own content editor. Two weeks ago, I chose not to publish a funny Google Maps error, because it just became too mainstream. Sure Google engineer, you swim across the ocean!

Context plays a role in my posts, but not nearly to the same degree as in the legitimate news world - I would never had gotten away with writing about pirated stem cells in the established media.

Want to stay current? Check out the Headline News section in the right side bar. Your choice of 3 news source headlines.

Want to be ahead? Keep reading my blog.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like daughter, like mother . . .
- Mrs. Q-M

Christine said...

You're too kind. But since you brought it up: Like sister,like brother,like father,like mother.