July 14, 2007

Bank on It

"Hello, is this Christine?" the caller asked at about 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.
"Yes," I replied. "Who am I speaking with?"

"This is Anna. I'm calling from BMO Bank of Montreal. I'm calling to notify you that BMO has suspended your debit card privileges. Our Security Division made the decision to freeze your debit card at 12:06 p.m. today."
"What are you talking about?" I pay for 99% of all my purchases using the debit card. I hadn't been out since 11:00 a.m.

"Sometime during the past 4-6 weeks you made a purchase at a business that is part of a criminal investigation," she explained. "That business is alleged to have recorded information from some consumers' debit cards. I am not authorized to disclose any information about the identity of the operation or persons involved.
"There does not appear to be any suspicious activity in your account since the transaction at that location. I can't be certain that your debit card information was obtained by the alleged criminals when you completed your purchase.
"Your card and account information has been compromised. As a precaution we have restricted your debit card."

I'll straighten it out at the Branch.

Three years ago, BMO's transaction security shut down John's card after they suspected the card data had been ripped. Three "unusual" transactions were completed at an "unusual" location which triggered a red-flag at the bank.

Two years ago, my credit card was cloned. The bank called us after their warning system detected activity that was "out of the ordinary". Within hours of the first fraudulent transaction, it was completely resolved.

We continue to receive outstanding service from BMO and its banking professionals.

Some may say that they're protecting their money, but I prefer to regard it as BMO taking care of their clients. Thanks, BMO.

Tags:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unusual activity on my credit account is a payment!
SJP

Anonymous said...

Sarah Jessica Parker reads your blog!?

Christine said...

chilee Is Everywhere!

Anonymous said...

I bet Sarah Jessica Parker was attracted because of your insight into footwear styles.

Anonymous said...

She was undoubtedly Googling espadrilles, and then came back for the hot boot talk.

Anonymous said...

'Who am I speaking with?"
Tsk. Tsk.
You know that it should be "To whom am I speaking, please?"

All those posts about words, grammar, spelling... You didn't mean any of it!

Christine said...

Oops. How'd that non-Sarah-Jessica Parker comment get there?
This comment thread kills!