December 27, 2006

The Tradition of the Nativity Scene

When I was growing up, our family had a nativity scene that was arranged atop the piano in the living room. It was a traditional scene and my Mom had painted each ceramic figure. In the first year, it was Mary, Joseph, Jesus, the manger and the Wise Men. Each year after that, she painted additional pieces to include. Every December 25th, at 12:00 a.m., we'd sing Happy Birthday and place baby Jesus in the manger.

I don't know where that nativity is now. Come to think of it, I haven't seen that manger set in several years. Yesterday, at my parents' home, I saw there was a different nativity arrangement on the table behind the couch. Except for Kashmir's interest in the new set, I might not have noticed it back there.

My parents have an acre of property that they decorate for the season. The latest in outdoor decorations is the over-sized inflatable adornment. That got me to thinking...

I found these items for sale, and thought, they'd be perfect in the orchard.
A 9 ft. inflatable scene


And to finish it off right,



add the 6' tall Wise Men...

Each has its own "self-contained illumination system" and is described as being "a highly visible lawn decoration." Both unfortunately, now sold out for the season.

Think you'd find these for sale at some blasphemous website, right? Wrong. Try CatholicSupply.com

More on

Go to No Access to Health Treatment

4 comments:

Michelle said...

What? You left out the punch line! Kashmir is your brother's dog. Of course, he took a great interest in the nativity scene -- he's a German Shepherd.

Christine said...

That bit's been done...guess you hadn't herd.

Anonymous said...

Dog gone it, you two need therapy.

R

Christine said...

Just doggedly persistent.

If Kashmir were a miniature breed and he joined the scene on the table, would anyone notice?