February 22, 2007

Kicking Cancer II

My sister, Michelle has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

I'm sure she rehearsed her delivery before dialling my number to tell me. I knew that she had rehearsed how to open the discussion with her doc. Neither went the way she planned. I answered the phone, "Hello?"
"It's cancer," she said.
I did what any sister would do...made her laugh.

"This can't be happening. I can't have cancer," she said. And this time I responded with something incredibly profound. "No," she insisted. "I can't have cancer. I don't have enough boots. I only have one pair that is really spectacular." Read Giving Cancer the Boot

Luckily, Roni, a step ahead, provided a kick-ass care package that arrived at Michelle's door the next day.

Link to Michelle's Blog

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Breast Cancer foundation
Common Breast Cancer Myths

The first myth pertaining to this disease is that it only affects women.

Second myth that is associated with this disease is that if one has found a lump during an examination, it is cancer.

Third is that it is solely hereditary

The next myth associated with breast cancer is downright ridiculous. Would you believe, that in this day and age, some individuals still think that breast cancer is contagious?

Conversely, some individuals foolishly believe that breast size determines whether or not one gets cancer.

Finally, another myth that is associated with this disease is that it only affects older people. This is not so. Although the chance of getting breast cancer increases with age, women as young as 18 have been diagnosed with the disease.

You can find a number of helpful informative articles on Breast Cancer foundation at breast-cancer1.com

Breast Cancer foundation

Christine said...

Thanks for stopping by and reprinting the myths of breast cancer.

Random readers: The website noted above is not affiliated with the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

The breast-cancer1 website is a compilation of articles and a list of resources pertaining to breast cancer.

Smart men and women do not use the internet for diagnosis and treatment. Speak to your medical professionals about your condition.