August 03, 2007

Squeezing Lower Prices

I don't shop at Wal-Mart. There are many reasons.

I don't like the way they do business. Here's how my relationship with Wal-Mart started:

When Wal-Mart came to Canada, it initiated a campaign to convince shoppers the merchandise in its stores was Canadian merchandise.

It looked to me like Wal-Mart was disguising the truth. Sure, it buys merchandise from a warehouse located in Canada. That warehouse receives goods from an offshore supplier. The shipment was ordered and arranged by Wal-Mart. A Canadian truck delivers the cartons to the final destination.

I know a little about Canadian content and I wasn't buying their claim. Wal-Mart hadn't demonstrated enough Canadian content for me.

Bryan Adams' album Waking Up the Neighbors was deemed ineligible for Juno award nomination in 1992. The CRTC concluded that the album did not meet Canadian Content (can-con) criteria.
Amid tremendous controversy in 1991, Adams,
his management and A&M Records convinced the CRTC to amend its criteria for Canadian content to include a Canadian artist who has collaborated with a non-Canadian and receives at least half of the credit for both music and lyrics.
All about
Bryan Adams
Tags:

I'm all for great deals for shoppers; I absolutely support making money. I've seen corporate purchasing, and the bullying tactics of big retail on the suppliers...suppliers who are struggling to match increased volume at smaller margins and be profitable.

Sorry to put you through all this. I wanted to offer a little backgrounder before you went on to the next post. Will Work For Free?

Encyclopedia of Music in Canada

0 comments: