September 25, 2006

Attainment Scaling

I had a follow-up with GI today, and (after putting it off for a month) the TPN clinic. I was led to the exam room then left alone. I looked at the pictures of the stomach and paced around a little.

Then I decided I would weigh myself. Taking my weight is mandatory at each visit. I don't judge my improvement by weight; I consider energy level and the answer to 'how do i feel' to be better indicators of improvements.

Regardless, I know that Usha will weigh me. If by some miracle she doesn't, I know Suzanne will. Suzanne never forgets.

I took off my shoes (I'm never allowed to keep them on) and stepped up. I was aghast! The scale showed 7 ½ kg down since July! I thought my weight would be down a bit, but 7 ½ kg, quick do the math, that's 16½ pounds!

So I put my shoes on, pulled my sweater on, put my keys into my pocket, put all the coins from my wallet into the other pocket and stepped back on the scale. Not much different. Dread creeped over me, which was too bad, because up until then, I was having a (relatively) good day.

Stella and Suzanne came in and Suzanne asked me to get on the scale. I stepped on. I thought heavy thoughts. She looked. I stepped off. She moved the scale. I stepped on, she looked, I stepped off. She tapped the scale. I repeated the on/off. She did the math and said "There's no way, you've lost that much." Whew! Different scale, different numbers. That's more like it.

Line: check. Meds: check. Hydration: needs improvement. Iron infusion? Better get it checked. I admit to them that I am not in a good routine with the program right now, and they know that I will pull it all together again. I always do.

Home to Very Random

Go to No Access to Health Treatment

0 comments: